Derby season kicks off this Saturday in Kentucky.
Along with the Southern tradition of horse racing comes the equally exciting Southern tradition of dandy tailoring.
Michael Andrews is a Southern gentleman turned NYC bespoke clothier, so we couldn’t think of a better person to give us some ideas on how to dress for this weekend’s Derby (or Derby party).
1. Fine Linens
Derby style is all about lightweight tailoring (think linen and seersucker) in preppy Spring colors (like florals and pastels) finished-off with dandy accessories (like bowties and boater hats).
So embrace your inner Southern gentleman and have some fun with it – this is one of those occasions when you can’t really be overdressed.
A custom-made equestrian inspired scooter helmet is a nice touch too, you know, for those of us watching the derby on TV and cruising around the big city.
Navy shoes are underrated.
They have an appealing richness in the Spring/Summer and they work with just about everything – from conservative grey suit pants to preppy red chinos.
Mike also has the perfect pant break to show these beauties off.
- Tortoise and silver sunglasses by Matsuda
- Blue linen jacket by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- White spread collar shirt by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Floral print cotton tie by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Red chinos by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Navy blue tassel loafers by Scarpe di Bianco