4. The Easy Goer – Cotton
Looking for a 3/4 length layer to throw over just about anything?
Just like an unconstructed blazer, an unlined cotton topcoat is lightweight, laid-back, and super versatile. It’s especially great for layering with casual looks (of course it can be dressed-up too). I’ll wear this thing with a shirt and tie to a midday meeting, then wear it with sweats to the gym later the same night.
Where I wore this: menswear pattern-making class at the Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC
Bonus Tip: pocket square in a topcoat? If it fits as well as a blazer, why not? (once in a while).
Bonus Tip II: tortoiseshell shades are cool and classic, but everyone is wearing them. Woodgrain (preferably on actual wood) is a cool organic change of pace. The good people at Shwood sent me these, and I’ve been wearing the hell out of them on those surprisingly-sunny winter days.
- Navy unlined cotton topcoat by Theory
- Brown herringbone tweed vest by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Green striped oxford shirt by Gitman Brothers
- Slim washed denim jeans by Polo Ralph Lauren
- Oxblood captoe dress boots by Scarpe di Bianco
- Wooden shades by Shwood