As much as I like collecting & styling clothes, shoes and accessories, I hate carrying them. So when it’s time to travel I try my best to pack only versatile pieces that can be mixed-and-matched in order to keep my bags as light as possible.
As documented in Video Episode 4 Micheal Andrews and I traveled to China this March to oversee the production of our new Ready-to-Wear collection (which will be available exclusively on thestyleblogger.com in early-mid July).
Mike and I used this opportunity as an experiment in packing light. The challenge: How little could we pack for a week long trip to China and still have a different outfit each day?
Here, what each of us packed and a daily record of the outfits we put together, along with a few of our best packing tips.
What I Packed
- LAYERS: wool/silk patterned blazer, tweed waistcoat, navy lightweight wool cardigan
- TOPS: blue oxford shirt, brown gingham shirt, linen crewneck knit, white v-neck t-shirt
- BOTTOMS: light wash jeans, navy chinos, light blue chinos
- SHOES: navy suede loafers
- ACCESSORIES: brown alligator belt, tortoise shades, watch, 2 pocket squares, tie bar, navy socks, brown socks, navy linen tie
- BAGS: duffle carry-all, briefcase (carry-on)
What Michael Packed
- LAYERS: lightweight flannel suit jacket, patterned blazer
- TOPS: white/blue check shirt, lavender shirt, light blue shirt, blue/white check shirt, white short sleeve shirt, blue/white bengal stripe shirt
- BOTOMS: lightweight flannel suit pants, camel corduroys, indigo jeans, dark wash jeans
- SHOES: dark brown loafers, light brown wingtips, navy boat shoes
- ACCESSORIES: brown leather belt, aviator shades, watch, 2 pocket squares
- BAGS: heavy duty roller, duffle, briefcase (carry-on)
Day 1 – Takeoff & Landing
This trip in particular was a little tricky to prepare for since we spent the first part of the trip in northern China (weather similar to Toronto) and the second part in Southern China (weather similar to Miami).
Bonus Tip (from Michael): ”I usually have plenty to carry when I’m going on a business trip to the workshop [samples, patterns, fabrics, trims, etc]… The airline allows you to check two bags under 50 pounds, but it’s a little inconvenience to carry both. So after picking them up from baggage claim, I throw my smaller duffle into my larger heavy-duty case and roll with ease.”
Bonus Tip II: Whenever I’m taking a long flight I try to wear a few layers. It helps keep your load light and allows you to adjust to those sporadic airplane temperatures. Also, the best way for your jacket to fly is on your back.
Bonus Tip III: A few hours into the trip and I already found a new scarf. It’s the free airline-issued blanket.
- Tan wool/ silk blazer by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Blue oxford shirt by Thom Browne
- Navy wool cardigan by Uniqlo
- Slim washed denim jeans by Polo Ralph Lauren
- Navy suede loafers by Scarpe di Bianco
- Canvas & leather duffle bag by Filson
- Canvas & Leather briefcase by Filson
- Linen pocket square Vintage
- Tortoise aviator shades by Persol
- Brown alligator belt by Ralph Lauren Purple Label
- Silver belt buckle by Ralph Lauren Purple Label
- Watch by Montblanc Timewalker
- Brown alligator watch band by Montblanc