Not everything in vintage stores is truly “vintage”. Buyers from these specialty shops typically select their merchandise from multiple sources, including affluent New Yorkers who donate pieces that they don’t find themselves wearing and are taking up too much valuable space in their apartments.
Here, I styled it for five different occasions.
1. Standing Out from the Corporate Crowd
A toggle (or “duffle” – if it’s made from genuine duffle fabric) is a great alternative to the classic topcoat for business wear.
The shape is a little more style-forward, and in a bolder color like this it allows you to stand apart from the sea of black, grey and navy outerwear.
I love that the leather closures on the coat are black but the wooden toggles are brown, making it easy to wear with either black or brown leathers.
- Fur scarf Handmade
- Black socks by Marcoliani
- Navy suit by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Sterling Silver tie bar by Tiffany & Co.
- Red toggle coat by Brooks Brothers
- “Adams” black leather tassel loafers by Allen Edmonds
- White cotton dress shirt by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Watch by Montblanc Timewalker
- Navy wool tie by Thom Browne