As I’ve been writing all season, this winter has been very mild here in NYC. It feels like we’re making an early transition into Spring. Lately I’ve been layering with vests rather than pilling on topcoats or parkas.
A down vest can be styled for just about any occasion. Yes, you can wear it over a blazer or suit. It’s shorter than the jacket, but that’s okay – it adds an element of casual non-chalance to your look and a new silhouette to your routine.
1. Corporate Casual Friday
A heavyweight textured jacket is a great match for a down vest, they both share the duty of warming the core.
A well-made down vest in a a suiting fabric, like this oatmeal flannel herringbone, looks more natural with a jacket & tie look than a nylon puffer.
The vest should fit slim over a sweater and a little snug over a jacket – you may want to consider sizing down (I’m wearing a small – see my sizing details here).
- Brown club tie Vintage
- Gold hand-engraved aviator shades by Matsuda Eyewear
- Silver belt buckle by Ralph Lauren Purple Label
- Tweed sample jacket from MAB by Dan Trepanier
- Red socks by Marcoliani
- Oxblood tassel loafers by Johnston & Murphy
- Wool herringbone down vest by Penfield
- Watch by Montblanc Timewalker
- Silver 2″ tie bar by Tiffany & Co
- Raw denim jeans by APC
- Brown gingham shirt by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Brown alligator belt by Ralph Lauren Purple Label