Do you love the look of zig-zag cornrows or cornrow zig-zag braids, but don’t know how to style them on your hair? Do you have questions about which products to use, or how to keep them looking their best? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will give you a complete guide on how to create this look. So whether you’re a beginner or an experienced braider, read on for everything you need to know about zig-zag cornrows!
What are zig-zag cornrows or zig-zag braids?
Zig-zag cornrows are a type of braid that is created by weaving the hair in a zig-zag pattern. The effect is a series of small, raised sections that resemble the teeth of a comb. Zig-zag cornrows can be made with any type of hair, but they are most commonly seen with African-American hair.
The zig-zag cornrow style has been around for centuries and is thought to have originated in West Africa. Today, it is worn by both men and women as a way to express their styles. Zig-zag cornrows can be worn in a variety of ways, including loose and flowing, tight and neat, or even in an elaborate design. No matter how they are worn, zig-zag cornrows are sure to turn heads.
How are they different from traditional cornrows?
Zig-zag cornrows, or zig-zag braids, are a type of hair braiding that involves creating a series of small, diagonal braids. Unlike traditional cornrows, which are typically styled in a straight line, zig-zag cornrows follow a more irregular pattern. While the specific technique can vary, the most common method is to start with three sections of hair and then braid each section diagonally across the head, alternating directions as you go.
Zig-zag cornrows can be styled with or without beads, and they can be worn as standalone braids or incorporated into larger braided hairstyles. Thanks to their unique look, zig-zag cornrows are a popular choice for those who want to add a bit of personality to their braided hairstyle.
How to style zig-zag cornrows on your hair?
Zig-zag cornrows are a stylish and versatile way to wear your hair. If you’re thinking about trying this style, don’t worry – it’s not as difficult as it looks. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get the look.
Start with clean, dry hair. If your hair is damp, allow it to air dry or blow dry it on the low setting. Section your hair into small subsections using clips or a comb. Start at the front of your head and work your way back.
Using a thin comb, create a part that is 1/2 inch wide and runs from the forehead to the nape of the neck. Starting at the front of the head, take a small section of hair. Start braiding the section of hair closest to your forehead, working back towards the crown of your head. As you braid, make sure to add small sections of hair so that the braid lies flat against your head.
When you reach the crown of your head, start braiding downwards towards the nape of your neck. As you reach the nape of your neck, start zigzagging the braid so that it creates a zig-zag pattern. Secure the end of the braid with an elastic band.
Repeat steps 3-5 on each subsection of hair until all of your hair has been braided.
A few tips on how to make your zig-zag braids look even better
Zig-zag braids are a great way to add a little bit of texture and interest to your hairstyle. If you’re looking for ways to make your zig-zag braids look even better, here are a few tips:
- Use a comb to create evenly spaced sections when you’re braiding. This will help the braid lie flat and prevent it from looking messy.
- When you reach the end of each section, use your fingers to gently smooth out any flyaways. This will give the braid a neat and polished look.
- To add even more texture, try using different thicknesses of hair when you braid. Thick sections will create a bolder zigzag pattern, while thin sections will create a more delicate effect.
By following these simple tips, you can take your zig-zag braids from ordinary to extraordinary!
What products to use for the best results
If you want your zigzag cornrows to look their best, it’s important to use the right products. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Knotless Braiding Hair: This type of hair is specifically designed for braiding and will help create a neat, professional-looking finish.
- Edge Control Gel: Edge control gel is a must-have for any braided hairstyle. It will help keep your hairline looking sharp and prevent flyaways.
- Braid Spray: Braid spray is a great way to add shine and protect your hair from damage. We recommend using it before and after you braid your hair.
What are the pros of wearing zig-zag braids over other hairstyles?
Zig-zag braids are a popular hairstyle for both men and women. There are several benefits to wearing zig-zag braids over other hairstyles.
Сornrow zig-zag braids are less likely to come undone than other styles. This is because the zigzag pattern creates a series of interlocking loops that hold the hair in place.
This hairstyle is less likely to cause scalp irritation. This is because the zig-zag pattern allows each strand of hair to lie flat against the head, reducing friction and irritation.
Those braids can be worn in a variety of styles. Whether you want a simple side braid or an intricate cornrow design, zig-zag braids offer endless possibilities. So if you’re looking for a versatile, low-maintenance hairstyle, look no further than the humble zig-zag braid.
Are there any disadvantages?
While zig-zag braids can be a fun and stylish way to wear your hair, there are some potential drawbacks to consider before you attempt this hairstyle.
- First, it can be difficult to achieve evenly-spaced braids if you don’t have a lot of experience with this technique.
- Second, the tightness of the braids can put a strain on your scalp, which can lead to headaches.
- Finally, zig-zag braids tend to tangle easily, so you’ll need to take extra care when brushing or combing your hair. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort required to maintain this style, then zig-zag braids can make a great addition to your hairstyle repertoire. However, if you’re not sure you’re up for the challenge, it might be best to stick with simpler styles.
Can cornrow zig-zag braids damage your hair?
If you’re considering cornrow zig-zag braids, you may be wondering if they can damage your hair. The good news is that, when done correctly, cornrow braids are a protective style that can help keep your hair healthy and strong. However, if the braids are too tight, they can cause friction and breakage of the hair shaft. Additionally, zig-zag braids can be difficult to remove without causing damage to the hair.
The key is to make sure that the braids are not too tight. If you take correct care of your hair, cornrow zig-zag braids can be a great way to add some personality to your look without damaging your hair.
How to care for your hair while wearing this style?
Zig-zag braids are a fun and stylish way to wear your hair, but they can also be somewhat delicate. To help keep your zig-zag braids looking their best, there are a few things you can do.
- First, be sure to use a gentle shampoo and conditioner when washing your hair. Avoid using any products that contain alcohol, as this can dry out the hair and cause the braids to unravel.
- Second, use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair before braiding it. This will help prevent the braids from getting too tight and causing damage to the hair.
- Finally, be sure to moisturize your hair regularly, using an oil-free product to avoid weighing down the braids.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your zig-zag braids looking beautiful for longer.
Different ways to wear cornrow zig-zag braids
There are many different ways to style cornrow zig-zag braids, so you can always find a look that suits your mood or occasion.
One popular way to wear cornrow zig-zag braids is in box braids. This style looks best with medium to long hair, and it’s a great way to add volume and texture to your hair. To create box braids, start by sectioning off your hair into small box-shaped sections.
Then, French braid each section, incorporating a small amount of hair from the sides of the section as you braid. Once you reach the ends of your hair, secure the braids with elastics.
Another way to style cornrow zig-zag braids is in a Dutch braid. This style is similar to a French braid, but instead of Braiding over the sections of hair, you braid under them. This creates a “braided” effect that is both unique and stylish. To Dutch braid your hair, start by sectioning your hair into small sections. Then, begin braiding each section by taking a small amount of hair from the side of the section
If you’re looking for a stylish and versatile way to wear your hair, give zig-zag cornrows a try. With so many different ways to style them, you can find a look that fits your personality and everyday style. We hope you’ll give this look a try – it’s a great way to add some edge to your everyday style. So what are you waiting for? Give zig-zag cornrows a try today!